Saturday, March 05, 2011

Beyond the land of Hattamala!

Got to watch this at the Jagriti theatre in Whitefield last night and I must say it was worth a watch. It's one of my friend's debut Play and I just couldn't miss being there. Its was very hectic ride at the peak evening hours of B'lore traffic through the outer ring road, total distance of about 35kms, as it was a sudden plan. The show was at 8PM and I had called a friend of mine to check out for the route in Google maps and as per what I heard from him, it sounded the theatre was not on the main road, and then a big sigh of relief to just bump on it on the Whitefield road itself came up totally to our surprise.
Coming to the actual play, it was quite an experience.
The initial 15 minutes, before the actual start of the show, they did some formations which was a slow motion thingie. Good try and should have been a good warm up to the casts. Once the play started, it was a mix of Kannada, Hindi and English. Kenappa, the main male cast's whole script was in Kannada, and a ton round of applauds to him to deliver it just real. A lot of times the audience caught up with giggles for all the funny dialogues he had. The experience showed up. I have got to see a small piece of his monoacting once before in my company, and if I remember correctly, it was in English. A very good one. Becha was no less, I still remember the way she was throwing up some stares. So funny. Hers was complete English script. She did greater than what's justice to the role. Both the main cast were great actors, and all their efforts seemed to have paid. The other characters that come as a part of the play too did the best of theirs. Each of them had to play multiple roles for different scenes. I just keep wondering how could they manage remembering the sequence and all the dialogues in addition. A job too greatly done. And then there was this guitarist, an old man. He had the excellent skills of singing and that promptly made up for what a lil that was missing here and there.
So now coming to what dragged me to the show. This guy, I almost went on the verge of calling him a pester for all the marketing he was doing all over. He was living with the play, I guess for more than 2 months, whenever we got to speak wherever it is, all I could hear from his was Beyond, BTLH etc etc. He was on this instrument side. Playing some 3 different kinds of instruments namely Bongo, Rainstick and Agogo. A great opportunity to show up his skills and according to me he had used it really well. His debut show and it just did not look like that at all! Kudos.
On the whole the play had quite a good impact on the audience. We went on to remember the dialogues and started relating to them at certain instances. There were no real flaws found except for one or two here and there, which might definitely not a big deal when you come out with this whole sense of gratification for a time well spent.
And beyond that hattamala, moneyless world is quite a fantasy. How I wish we all get to experience that in the real world.
I would upload the poster that I made for this soon, as I dont have the originals with me right now. After all, even I had put in some of my 2 cents for this, you see ;)

- *Poster uploaded on Mar 08*

Godspeed to you good people!

1 comments:

shyamchand said...

Thanks for the beautiful writeup dear... :) Happy to hear that you had enjoyed lot... :)
The 15 min slow thingie is indeed the warm up planned and yes it did serve the purpose. Audience like you make Kena, Becha and the people from Beyond, tell what they want to say. Hats off to badal Sircar for bringing in the beautiful concept of 'no money'. The topic is for retrospection and satisfied to know that you had thought about such a world atleast once. :)

thanks a lot for the wonderful poster you made...

really shows up the enthusiasm you displayed for the play...

And thanks a lot for praising the instrument guy soo much :P

love